Monday, April 28, 2008

Three Truths I Want My Daughter To Learn

“And you, Solomon my son, know the God of your father and serve him with a whole heart and with a willing mind, for the Lord searches all hearts and understands every plan and thought. If you seek him, you will find him, but if you forsake him, he will cast you off forever.
Be careful now, for the Lord has chosen you to build a house for the sanctuary; be strong and do it.” --I Chronicles 28:9-10

What if you knew you were near death and you had one last opportunity to teach your children? You have to be careful because these are going to be your last words, you must choose them carefully. What would you tell them? 1 Chronicles 28:9-10 is David teaching his son Solomon one last time before his death. David is near death, and Solomon is fixing to be anointed king over Israel. He could have told Solomon how to be an effective king, how to deal with the people under him, but instead he tells Solomon to seek God and do his will.
These verses are great for parents who want to teach their children about serving the Lord. And the good news is that we don’t have to wait until we are on our deathbed to teach it. As I looked at these verses I found three things that I could teach my daughter and then pray them into her life.
We will look at some of this in more detail over the next few posts. But here's an overview of three things I draw from this passage that I need to teach my daughter. First, I can teach her to know God and serve Him with a whole heart and a willing mind. This requires a love relationship with Jesus Christ. Second, I need to teach her that the Lord searches our hearts and knows our true motives. There will be times in her life she might “play the game” to deceive her parents, but she can never deceive God. And finally I need to teach her that she is chosen by God and he has a plan for her life and when he reveals that plan she must be strong and do it. And remind her he always gives us the grace to do his will. These will be daily lessons I need to teach her (and her dad) on a daily basis and then in my times of prayer, pray that God would give her the grace to understand these truths and apply them to her life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home