Thursday, August 7, 2008

Lessons of Faith from Abraham

I came home last night discouraged, I woke up early this morning discouraged. And this morning as I was asking God, “What am I missing? Where am I going wrong? This seems to be the way, but I certainly don’t see it?” As I went into my daily Bible reading I was in Genesis reading the story of Abraham.
If you are like me, your current situation influences your perspective on whatever your reading and this morning I was feeling Abraham’s frustration. When God tells Abraham to go from his father’s country to the land I will show you. I could just see Abraham replying, “Aren’t you even going to tell me if I should head east or west?” And as the story develops God keeps promising this great nation, but there’s one problem—Abraham doesn’t even have a child. And then in chapter 15 Abraham was a reflection of me over the last twenty-four hours. God says, “fear not, for I am your shield your very great reward.” The politically correct thing to do would have been to reply, “O thank you God, You are and I praise you for that.” But, not Abraham, he bore his heart out to God, even the doubt. He basically tells God you keep promising this great inheritance and I don’t even have a child, one of my servants would inherit it.” Have you ever been there? Where you feel God is saying keep on keeping on, your heading in the right direction. And you just want to scream, “Then why is it so hard, why does it look like one big failure after another?” I’m thankful we have a loving and merciful God that allows us to express our doubt and not only express it he gives us the grace and strength to continue on in the faith.
The story doesn’t end there. God takes him out and shows him outside and says, “Look toward heaven, and number the stars, if you are able to number them…so shall your offspring be.” Abraham knew that he couldn’t number it or even imagine the greatness of it, but he knew God knew the exact number, he knew that is shield and his reward was the eternal God who created all things and had all things in his control. And he believed God and it was credited to him as righteousness.
This is what God taught me this morning, it’s okay to be discouraged, but I’m still your shield, your great reward. Fear not! I’m with you and as long as I’m with you it’s going to be okay. So, now my strength has been renewed to go out and fight another day, knowing that it’s not even me really fighting, but the same awesome God that spoke and fulfilled those promises to Abraham is the same God that takes care of me. So, whatever you’re going through right now, I know it may look bleak, and if you’re like me it wasn’t in “your plans.” But we have the promise, that He is our shield, our very great reward and we are to fear not because we can do all things through Christ who gives us strength.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home